Thursday, November 18, 2010

WOW! Interesting spin……

So I get these several newsletters in my email everyday …. Often I delete them without reading and sometimes I eyeball them. Today I got one from ‘MedPage Today’ (www.medpagetoday.com). The headline says “AHA: Drug-eluting stent safe in large artery disease” and then it goes on to say ...

“CHICAGO -- Among patients with coronary disease in large arteries, treatment with a drug-eluting stent was as safe as treatment with a bare-metal one, results of a large international study showed.”

The correct and realistic headline should be that “bare-metal stents are as good as drug-eluting stents (DES) in large artery disease”. In fact, this study is a win for bare-metal stent (BMS) proving that BMS can be used without any hesitation in large vessel disease. Headline on the other hand, tries to portray that it’s safe to continue using DES for large vessel disease.

No comments: